Fill in the Blanks with Lori Ryan, Vice-President, Registered Plans & TFSA Division at Olympia Trust Company
Fill in the Blanks with Lori Ryan Vice-President, Registered Plans & TFSA Division at Olympia Trust Company
1. The exempt market is a vibrant, growing industry.
2. The thing I like the most about the exempt market is the diverse and unique investment options available.
3. The stock market is rumoured to be nearing a valuation correction.
4. In regards to the exempt market, regulators have acknowledged the importance of industry feedback through the creation of committees such as the Ontario Securities Commission Exempt Market Advisory and Alberta Securities Commission Exempt Market Advisory Committee.
5. The biggest misconception people have about the exempt market is that the investments are all high risk.
6. The most important thing investors should know about the exempt market is, like any other investment, investors are ultimately responsible for educating themselves - and understanding the pros and cons of the investments they are purchasing.
7. Dealing Reps need to continue to represent the industry in a professional & ethical manner.
8. There is not enough individuals aware of the career opportunities available as a Dealing Representative in the exempt market.
9. There is too much reminiscing of the old ‘Wild West’ in the exempt market.
10. The exempt market is no place for unscrupulous promoters/issuers.
11. In 5 years the exempt market will be a strategic part of all financial portfolios.
12. The biggest change in the exempt market has been the National Instrument 45-106 Prospectus Exemption.
13. The biggest challenge for the exempt market is the misconceptions that are reiterated in mass media news articles.
14. The key to longevity for the exempt market is to increase awareness amongst investors, regulatory bodies and small and medium-sized businesses looking for capital.
15. Critics of the exempt market are generally inadequately informed/educated about exempt products.
16. NEMA is an organization dedicated to the growth of the Canadian Exempt Market’s public profile and the improvement of its reputation.